Friday, June 22, 2007

Orrefors Zoo Collection by Martti Rytkonen

Simply stunning! That’s what I have to say about my Mother’s crystal animal collection - - - Lalique lions, Swarovski tigers and Waterford bears, on my! What a Noah’s Ark of collection she has …crystal frogs, porcupines and birds are all beautifully grouped together on a table in the living room. I credit my own love of crystal to my mom, I fell in love with seeing her pieces individually as well as seeing them grouped and arranged.

That’s why when I saw her eyeing Martti Rytkonen’s Zoo Collection, I knew immediately what I was going to get her for a birthday present! From the moment she spotted these pieces I knew she was envisioning how they would work with the other animals in her collection. She doesn’t know this, but there’s a crystal animal hiding underneath the bed (in the room that use to be my bedroom).

Stylized, minimalist, stunning! This collection was designed by Martti Rytkönen, he is a truly gifted designer at Orrefors. Pure, clear crystal is his imaginative medium of choice, one which he cuts, etches, sandblasts and engraves to bring forth new graphical motifs and effects. His motifs are often narrative and full of humor.

These charming crystal critters are great collectibles for the animal lover and the kid in everyone.

“Happy Birthday Mom”! Even though I’m not with you today physically, I’m there in spirit. See you soon. Love Always.

(zoo collection: bear, cat, duck, elephant, hippo, monkey, rabbit, squirrel; $80.00 each, Orrefors)

2 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

The 'mother of toddlers' + cook + baker in me secretly wishes that these were cookie cutters!

Anonymous said...

Did she like her crystal present?