Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Designing by Designer: Make waves and a big splash with Nautica’s dinnerware collection

Using the Latin word for ships, David Chu started his menswear company, Nautica,
in 1983 and proceeded to build an empire based on all things attached to the sailing
mentality. The Nautica lifestyle is a casual, relaxed approach - - - whether that is
in apparel or home collection.



The newest addition to the dinnerware collection is Yacht Club and as the name
implies, its elegant and refined look is taken from the days spent on a yacht in
the French Riviera. The collection features fine white porcelain pieces accented
with light blue striping, plaid and chain link patterns.



The nautical decor doesn’t stop with tableware; many couples opt for a nautical
theme wedding. "Ahoy mates! If your adventurous heart belongs to the sea, a
nautical theme wedding is just right for thee."



Some couples opt for a nautical theme if they are having a wedding near any type
of water, including oceans, seas, rivers, even large lakes. Of course, another good
reason to have a nautical theme is if you’re going to be setting all or part of your
wedding on a boat. You don’t even have to go anywhere on the boat to have a
great wedding or wedding reception on a sea faring vessel.



Your nautical theme wedding invitations, like these designed by Ceci New
York
, can be the start of the fun.



Your wedding attire, flowers and color scheme can reflect the gold, yellow, blue,
black and red colors, which are used in the international signal code flags used by
mariners. Roping epitomizes the look.



It's a very successful theme. Your nautical theme will result in smooth sailing for
all who will share your special day and provide a memorable theme that embraces
your love of the sea. Carry the nautical theme to the table with the On Deck
collection.




images sourced from: Brides.com, The Knot.com and Rebecca Thuss

21 comments:

People St.Clair said...

I like the look of the On Deck glassware.

Kathryn said...

Gorgeous post - I love the nautical theme for a wedding!

ALL THE BEST said...

makes me long for summer!

Anonymous said...

This blog is GREAT! Just wanted to let you know that this blog is "The Blog of the week" at Extravaganza :)

fashiongirl said...

I loved the Nautica china. Thanks for sharing. On a separate note, the Fashion Guy and I are buying new day china. We're thinking Williams Sonoma restaurant collection. Any thoughts? It has to be elegant, simple and dishwasher friendly. Thanks!

Sarah Dennis said...

Hi Natasha, I like the On Deck glassware as well - - - the subtle amount of color add just the right touch to a summer, fresh table.

Sarah Dennis said...

Thanks K! I feel a mood board coming on! *smile*

Sarah Dennis said...

Ronda, I'm right there with you. I'm such a summer girl! What I wouldn't do to be lying on a beach right now.

Sarah Dennis said...

Jeanette, THANKS SO MUCH for featuring Toast and Tables as "blog of the week"! Extravaganza is a great blog and I'm honored that you would feature me.

Sarah Dennis said...

Hey Fashiongirl thanks for stopping by! So you and Fashion Guy are buying china today...how fun! Which pattern are you thinking of at WS? Personally, I favor their Brasserie dinnerware set because the pieces are large and heavier than their standard tableware and men like that!

With so many design choices, selecting tableware can be quite a process. There's only one rule to follow - always pick tableware that fits your lifestyle! You want something elegant, simple and dishwasher friendly so I say go with Bone China. I know you may think "too delicate" ...WRONG. Bone China is very durable, less prone to chipping and is dishwasher safe.

Here are some of my favorite, simple patterns: Royal Copenhagen, 4 All Seasons Blue; Wedgwood Jasper Conran and Night/Day*, Kate Spade Library Lane and Regatta Stripe by Ralph Lauren.

Hope this helps,
Sarah

katiedid said...

Hi Sarah! You are making me wish for summer all over again! I love boats and grew up with them down in Newport Beach California. Ah, the memories!

girl meets glamour said...

Perfect for anytime or summer! Love the detail on the first image esp.

~Kate

Anonymous said...

Sarah, thanks for compliments. :) I am thinking of doing interviews with bloggers - so I might get in touch with you later for a short interview if that's ok! Have a great week! And once again, your blog is super!

fashiongirl said...

Sarah - Thanks for your advice. I'll check out all those patterns. I think the Fashion Guy and I will be buying the china as a Christmas present for ourselves. I appreciate the advice!

Sarah Dennis said...

Katie and Kate, thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you both. Katie, as a child I spent my summer along the gulf shores of Alabama and Florida. This post brings back childhood memories for me to! Boy, those were the good o' days...

Sarah Dennis said...

Sure Jeanette that would be super, anytime! Just shoot me an email.

Sarah Dennis said...

Fantastic idea Fashion Girl! That's what I love about dinnerware. You don't have to buy everything all at once.You can keep adding to it. Maybe you and Fashion Guy could turn this into a tradition...every Christmas pick out 1 thing to add to your dinnerware. Can't wait to find out what you decide. Please keep me posted!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I love the nautical theme, the colors are so cheerful.

Liz said...

I love the Nautica tableware and seeing all the nautical wedding pictures!

Kimba said...

I am doing a nautical theme wedding in Hyannisport. I simply love this post!

muebles girona said...

The dude is completely just, and there is no suspicion.